Spread the love

New Stanton Park, Ilkeston

Heritage

Context

The New Stanton Park site is both steeped in, and heavily modified by, its history as an industrial centre.

The Stanton ‘Old Works’ was established in 1845, occupying a five-acre site between the Nutbrook Canal and the Midland Railway branch line (under construction from 1848). It consisted of three blast furnaces, two blowing engines, a casting and foundry house, offices, warehouses, workshops, fitters’ rooms and 15 new cottages for workmen. Throughout the 19th century, the works expanded with the ‘New Works’ built south of the Nutbrook Canal at Hallam Fields between 1872-4 which contained five open-top furnaces and associated infrastructure.

The works were at the forefront of Derbyshire ironworking, with the site well connected to extensive transport networks for movement of goods. Running east-west through the proposed site was the Nutbrook Canal, opened in 1793 as an independent branch of the Erewash Canal. The canal was very active in the earlier days of the Stanton Ironworks before competition with the Midlands’ railway network saw its use decline and encroaching coal mines led to seepage from the canal. Canal use ceased in 1949, and short stretches, retaining water with stone remains from former locks, survive within the site. The majority of the canal within the site has been filled in or destroyed with the expansion of the ironworks in the later 20th century.

The ironworks continued in operation at the site until the late 2000s and had spells in public and private ownership. The once extensive industrial site is now much reduced and the majority of works buildings have been removed. Some 19th and mid-20th century shops remain (the largest of which lies immediately to the rear of Nos. 1-4 Lows Lane) but there are now no traces of blast furnaces or foundries. On Ilkeston Road, the ornate company offices of 1914 survive, as do several 1950s ancillary buildings to the works (training centre, garages and exhibition centre). The offices lie outside of the site boundary but the 1950s ancillary buildings lie within the site boundary.

The closest designated heritage asset to the Site lies approximately 30m to the south-west of the boundary, the New Stanton Cottages (grade II listed building; List Entry No. 1329236). This is a terrace of twelve red brick cottages which were built by the Stanton Ironworks in 1848 to house workers at the beginning of operations at the Stanton site. Ilkeston, Trowell and Stapleford are historic settlements and their cores contain concentrations of listed buildings of various grades. The three conservation areas – Stapleford Church Street, Stanton-by-Dale and Sandiacre Cloudside – lie to the south and south-east of the Proposed Development. The Stapleford Church Street, Stanton-by-Dale conservation areas cover the parts of the historic settlement cores which have been relatively unaltered.

Assessment

In order to understand the potential for effects to heritage assets, an historic environment desk-based assessment, covering archaeology, historic buildings and historic landscapes, has been undertaken. This involved:

  • Documentary research and literature review;
  • Sourcing, collation and analysis of national and local historic environment data;
  • Site visits, including to assets and historic places outside the site with the potential to experience setting change;
  • Historic building analysis; and
  • Engagement with local authority historic environment advisers.

This process provides the information on the likely impacts of the development, and includes proposals for mitigation of those effects.

During the course of research and site visits, a single heritage asset – a bridge over the former Nutbrook Canal within the site – was noted in addition to those previously identified in local records. This asset was partially buried and vegetated. A bridge at this location is shown on draft plans for construction of the canal and is shown on the Tithe map of 1844, prior to construction of the Ironworks. It is therefore assumed that this bridge was built at the time of the construction of the canal in the 1790s.

Effects and mitigation

While development will result in the loss of a number of assets of low importance (for the purposes of EIA) on the site, these will be recorded in line with a programme of mitigation. Extant historic buildings on site have already been subject to standing building recording, and appropriate archaeological monitoring and recording will be implemented during the programme of demolition and groundworks.

It is not anticipated that assets in the wider vicinity of the site would be subject to adverse effects as a consequence of setting change. While the listed works cottages adjacent to the site would have visibility of the development, the relationship between these dwellings and the industrial that required their construction has already been lost through the demolition of the ‘New’ works.

The results of the historic environment investigations will be deposited with the county historic environment record (HER) to ensure that this information is publicly accessible.

Contact Us

If you have any queries, please contact Robert Laird of SP Broadway on 07722 014 914 or at robert@spbroadway.com.